Materials Science and Engineering comes under the core course of mechanical engineering and students of the second year has to complete this for clearing the fundamental concepts and this is also important for the GATE exam also.
The objective of the course:
The main objective of this course is to provide the basic knowledge needed to explore the discipline of materials science and engineering and to develop the knowledge of how the structure of materials is described technically, including crystallography, microstructure, defects, and phase diagrams. Another objective is to develop the knowledge of how the properties of materials are described technically and how material failure is analyzed. To introduce the concepts of structure-property relationships and to develop knowledge in the various class of materials and their applications
Expected Outcomes of the course:
The student will be able to Understand how materials are formed and their classification based on the atomic arrangement and also they will be able to describe the mechanical behavior of metallic systems and its importance.
Evaluating system for fatigue failures. Gain knowledge on a different class of materials and their applications. Evaluate the failure mode of the materials and to know the steps to be
taken to prevent the failures
and these are for the lab :
1. To train students in the preparation of samples to perform characterization such as microstructure, the volume fraction of phases, determination of porosity, film thickness, grain size and avoid
2. To help the students understand the microstructure of engineering materials, phase diagrams, various testing standards and acquire
knowledge on the material behavior by conducting tests.
3. To teach students how to improve the mechanical properties of materials by various methods.
The student will be able to
1. Acquire experimentation skills in the field of metallurgy.
2. Develop a theoretical understanding of the mechanical properties of materials by performing experiments.
3. Apply the knowledge of phase diagrams and testing methods in related areas.
And for knowing how to improve the structure of materials for various industrial applications.
You can refer the textbook for the material is
1. W.D. Callister, Jr.,(2010), Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction, 8th ed.,
Wiley & Sons